The company was founded by the Newton brothers and one of the brothers, Mr Frederick Newton, had continued involvement of designing generators for aircraft in both world wars.
Towards the end of the Great War, Frederick Newton produced the first design for a small, wind driven, aircraft generator, and in 1918 a generator designed by him was adopted as standard by the Air Force. This same piece of equipment, with variations, was a standard item in the Air Force for a decade.
During the period between the two world wars, Mr Newton was responsible for the design of many varieties of light-weight aircraft generators and rotary transformers, and in 1938 he turned his attention towards designing an automatic carbon pile voltage and current regulator.
The Newton Derby Automatic Voltage Regulator was manufactured in considerable quantities in the USA as well as Canada and Australia.
Towards the end of the Second World War, the regulator was fitted on every British and American aircraft used in the war. One of the largest awards made by the Government for war-time inventions was granted to Mr Newton and the company.
Today, Newton Derby is a division of Winder Power, a leading power and distribution transformer manufacturing company based in Yorkshire, UK.
With an experienced team of specialists, Newton Derby is able to deliver to its customers’ requirements from initial design and specification through to manufacturing.
Mr. Newton retired as Technical Director in 1947 but continued as the firm’s Technical Consultant until 1954. He remained a member of the Board of Directors until his death in November 1959.
In 2008 Winder Power Group moved to newer and larger premises in Stanningley, just around the corner from its previous home but another world away in terms of facilities. This move brought a new dimension to the company’s capabilities and also to its commitment to customer service.
The new headquarters provided enhanced facilities for continued growth of its power and distribution transformer business for utilities transportation and industry.
The new premises nearly doubles Winder Power Group’s manufacturing capability, offering larger crane facilities, room for a new test laboratory and provided a more efficient office environment for the growing design, sales and business support teams.
Manufacturing space was also increase, which enhanced productivity.